Saturday, June 20, 2009

Forever Young International School

We are now staying at the Forever Young International School and we are officially getting the royal treatment. We have a small apartment we are staying in with a kitchen, living room, bathroom, and three bedrooms so we each get our own room. The kitchen has a fridge, gas stove, washing machine, and even a toaster (we didn't really expect any of this). Also, all the windows have screens so we don't even need to use mosquito nets, sweet!

We were able to meet all the students on Friday. They are so adorable. The students were all the lining the driveway of the school when we arrived and singing a welcoming song. Then they officially welcomed us to the school and marched off to class singing another song. We got to visit each classroom that day and it was so cute to see all the little heads popping out of each classroom waiting for us to come into their classroom. Each time we walked out of a classroom all the students would start laughing. Afer about the fourth time, we finally asked Brigham, the head of the school who taking us around, if they were laughing at us because we sounded funny or acted weird. He said they were laughing because they were all so happy we had come and it was the best way they knew how to express themselves. I don’t know if I believe him…

We got to spend recess with the students and they played a game where they all gather in a circle and chant and clap while people take turns dancing in the middle. A little girl named Josephine (who I'm pretty sure is going to be my new shadow) asked me to dance with her in the middle. I started dancing and all the students went crazy, I'm glad someone appreciates my dance moves. I even have proof of it on video so you can watch it when I get back. Dancing with the students has been my favorite part of the trip thus far. I think at one point I had four students holding each of my hands. They are all so happy and so easily amused. Any time we take their picture and then show them the picture on our camera they all scream with delight, they loooooove having their picture taken. I know we have the opportunity to do a lot of good at this school, and I am excited to be a part of it. I really wanted to post pictures but they take FOREVER to upload. Maybe if I have couple hours to spare I can upload one.

3 comments:

  1. coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! i am kind of jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds really amazing Robyn, a royal treatment too. You are going to do wonders there, I can feel it. Yes, please post some pics whenever you have time.

    ReplyDelete