Sunday, July 12, 2009

My days are numbered...

Tomorrow is my last day at the Forever Young International school. I am traveling to Accra tomorrow night and flying to New York on Thursday, sad day! I am not ready to leave and my only consolation is that we are coming back again next year. It has been a wonderful experience and I feel very blessed to have had this amazing opportunity. I hope you are all mentally preparing yourselves to hear me talk about Ghana non-stop when I get back...



To celebrate the fourth of July I went on an excursion to the Kakum National Rainforest with the teachers and administration of the school. There were seven canopy walks throughout the rainforest that were really sweet and also really scary because I have a fear of heights. Luckily I had my good buddy Jenn with me who is also really scared of heights so we held hands the whole time. Random fact: People in Ghana hold hands with each other all the time. It is common to see two men or two women who good friends to walk around holding hands. I am not a touchy feely person but I have actually gotten quite used to holding hands with my friends/students while I have been in Ghana, we should do it more in America.



All the women in Ghana carry their small children on their back. They start carrying them when they are as young as one month. We stole these kids from the nursery so we could carry them around, the kids loved it (even though they don't look like it in the picture). I am learning some very important skills during my time in Ghana.




This is a picture of all the teachers at the school on the last day of training. Overall we held 10 one and a half our trainings with the teachers at the school and we are already seeing positive results from the strategies/teaching information we used to train the teachers. There were quite a few tears shed this day, mostly by me...


We went to visit an orphanage in a town called Wawase. There are 16 kids that live at the orphanage but most of them were at school when we got there. These three little cuties were too young to go to school. I fell in love with little David (the boy I am holding) as soon as I got there. It is always interesting to me how a person can love someone so much in just a matter of seconds. The other little boy, Kwanza, only had one leg and was badly scarred from an infection he had when he was younger. I felt like I could stay at the orphanage with those kids and be perfectly happy for the rest of my life, haha.

We traveled to a town called Cape Coast and we got to see the ocean. It reminded me of the ocean in Washington and it almost smelled the same, just with a hint of Africa smell.




2 comments:

  1. How amazing Robyn! It looks like you had such an amazing experience... I loved reading about it! Hope everything is going well, and that you're not too homesick for Ghana! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn!! I just discovered your blog and I can't wait to spend some time on here catching up on what you've been up to. It looks like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete